Saturday, January 12, 2013

why should we settle

I have been working the night shift, literally, at my house.  Get the beans in bed, make sure books are read and songs are sung and then I'm off to the dungeon (really need to create a workroom this year) to work on the bookcase.





Furniture buying on a budget leaves you with few options in the color department.  But why should we settle?  Colors for this 115 dollar bookcase were your basic black, white, or expresso.  Problem is, none of those colors were going to work.  White is too bright, black is too dark, and I'm over expresso.  But, you get what you pay for and my budget for this project has to stay in check.   

The project-----Making something out of this empty corner.  More on that when the paint dries.




The color I went with is Urbane Bronze from Sherwin-Williams
inspired from Nest Egg-here


Perfect! Now it's time to get down to work


   Refinishing laminate furniture 

(I must note that I was hunting thrift stores and antique shops in hopes to repurpose something but no luck on this one...one of my goals this year...repurposing more than consuming new)

1.  Sand everything down.  I used 220 grit sandpaper

2. Prime everything


This stuff has been my friend...it works like a charm!

3. Paint

4.  After sanding, priming, and painting I used some of my left over Annie Sloan Dark wax.  

I brushed it all over the bookcase.  It seals the piece while also adding some visual depth.  You can also sand it again and apply more wax to give it some more distressing.  



The one on the left is without the wax and the one on the right is with the wax.



The corner reveal will take place next week.  I'm excited to get it DONE!








4 comments:

  1. Cant wait to see it! I have a similar bookcase i have been thinking about painting so i need some good inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You tricked me. I thought I was going to see the new corner. I hope the beans let you have time to finish it soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can hardly wait - needing to redo some pieces of furniture and love the distressed look you have here. Work hard!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi,
    I'm an early bird from the Grow Your Blog party. Love the color of your corner.
    Diane

    ReplyDelete

Your comments brighten my day! Thanks for stopping by!